Several scholarships and grants are available for both undergraduates and graduate students who are seeking for financial assistance. The information below is available for those who need to apply for aid.
University of Nairobi is offering 137 masters scholarships for the 2021/2022 academic year. The applications are open only to applicants for the September 2021 intake.
General guidelines to applicants
Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria among other specific criteria by their respective units.
- Applicants should have completed and graduated with an undergraduate degree from the University of Nairobi in the academic year 2019/2020 (except for School of Medicine, School of Dental Sciences and School ol Nursing Sciences which requires mandatory two (2) years practical experience before admission into master’s programme ie).
- Possess a first class or second class upper division. The Scholarship is offered on merit (preference will be offered to the best students).
- Must have been admitted for the September 2021 intake in the particular programme.
- Duratiuon and Commencement: Scholarship is conditional and tenable for two (2) consecutive years (except for the School of Medicine and School of Dental Sciences which runs for four (4) years) and is not transferable within departments.
Scholarship must be taken at time of offer (no deferments and temporary withdrawal from studies while on scholarship).
- Scholarships are for full time students only; the student has to take the maximum number of units per semester, and successful students must comply with the the terms and conditions of the scholarship and must complete their studies within the stipulated programme duration.
- Equal opportunities: Female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities arc especially encouraged to apply.
- Application procedures and Deadlines: Applications which should include an application letter addressed to the Dean, letter of admission and certified copies of degree certificate and transcripts must be sent to the respective Dean.
Applicants should submit their application documents to their respective Deans by October 15, 2021.
Rattansi Education Fund
Offered By: Rattansi Education
Available For: Undergraduates
The Rockefeller Foundation scholarships
Offered By: The Rockefeller Foundation
Prof. Muriuki Scholarship
Offered By: University of Nairobi
Prof. Muriuki Scholarship is available to needy module one undergraduate students admitted to the University of Nairobi.
Gandhi Smarak Nidhi Fund Scholarship
Offered By: Gandhi Smarak Nidhi Fund Board of Trustees
The Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Academy of Society (MGMAS) started a trust fund in 1962; in the name of Gandhi Smarak Nidhi Fund (GSNF) that was to assist in development of higher education in East Africa. Money for this fund mainly came from the Government of India and from the three East African colonies. The money from this fund was used to construct the Gandhi Wing and the Gandhi Memorial Library as well as assisting in the purchase of the land on which the Chiromo Campus is built.
MGMAS decided to use the surplus to help bright needy students registered for various programmes of the University in form of bursaries and partial scholarships to build the capacity of trained personnel in the country as well as a gold medal to the overall best student in the University and a yearly monetary price to the best student in each faculty/school/institute. This has remained the tradition since then and many students have benefited from the fund. Currently the bursaries are given to undergraduate students and are managed by the MGMAS while the scholarship and the price are managed by GSNF. The scholarship is given to postgraduate students registered for Masters Programmes at the University of Nairobi only. A few PhD scholarships are available to women as a way of enhancing capacity for women in academia.
How to apply for a scholarship
Prior to the start of each University academic year the GSNF secretariat advertises for the GSNF scholarship through the local print media and through the U.o.N website; the applications are processed and the award of scholarship made on the basis of academic merit. For more information please contact: -
Gandhi Smarak Nidhi Fund,
Central Examination Centre, Chiromo Campus,
University of Nairobi,
P. O. Box 30197 - 00100 GPO, Nairobi
Telephone – 2538881/2538883 ext. 103.
Offered By: DAAD
Find more about DAAD from their website
- ABE Initiative Master's and Internship Program for Youth 8th Batch & SDGs Global Leadership Program 2021 (Deadline for Application: 13 October 2020 for 2021 Enrolment)
- Commonwealth Climate Resilience Challenge Grants